Thursday, October 6, 2011

Review - The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)


 
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
(From GoodReads)


 
My Review

Can I just start by saying "Squeeee!!"? Whew, I feel better now. Thanks for letting me get that out of the way. If I could sum up The Iron Daughter in on word, it would totally be that one. This book had me all over the place, crying, laughing, swooning. At one point, I was literally bouncing on my bed! It took me longer than it should have to read because I kept stopping to tweet my friends. The tweets included a lot of virtual screams and sighs.
I don't even know where to begin with my love for The Iron Daughter. How about the tag line: "Love and Betrayal. A Faery World Gone Mad." ? Yep, just about sums it up. The shite figuratively hits the fan with this one. Meghan is stuck in the icy Winter Kingdom, with Ash's very hostile family. The Summer and Winter Courts are about to go to war. Ash has turned away from Meghan. And, oh yeah, the Iron Fey are still out there. Things are about to get very interesting.

The Iron Fey series is on serious overload with all of the fantastic characters it contains. Grimalkin, the manipulative, but oddly likable cat is back. Ironhorse is back, in ways unimaginable in The Iron King. A new fabulous character was Leanansidhe. I know I shouldn't, but I loved her! She is devious, dangerous and so, so funny. All of her insults or threats are ended with an endearment of  "darling" or "dove".

Meghan, that poor girl. Once again, she must endure entirely too much. She is constantly subjected to hostility from Mab or a member of her Court. She's still struggling to control her power. And on top of that, there are these two very different, very alluring men in her life. Puck and Ash.

Just as I did in The Iron King, I adore Puck. He's sarcastic, fiercely loyal and...maybe in love with Meghan? The guy has literally followed Meghan to death's door and back. You can't help but just want to smack him then kiss him on the cheek.

As for the other man, Ash. I maintained firmly while reading The Iron King that I was not fully on board with the Team Ash phenomenon. And I still held that position going into The Iron Daughter. Well, now I'll say it loud and proud: I'M TEAM ASH!!! I felt the tide turning in his direction bit by bit throughout the book. And I won't say what he did to seal the deal, but Oh My Gosh!!! That was a moment I was not expecting and it totally blew me away. As tense as the dangerous situations were in the book, they have nothing on the tension and stress surrounding Meghan and Ash's tenuous position.

The Iron Daughter just killed it. So hard. I was so nuts by the time I finished. I wanted to crawl under my covers, curl up and cry. Cry in sadness, but mainly for joy.

 The Iron Daughter is a book chock full of action, adventure, laughter, romance and forbidden love. In other words, WIN!! This book does not disappoint in the slightest.

Favorite Quotes (One that made me laugh, one that made me sigh):

"If this faery bitch wanted a fight, bring it on. I'd do my fair share of clawing, too."

" 'You've seen me without the glamour and the illusions, even the ones I show my family, the farce I
   maintain just to survive. You've seen who I really am, and yet, you're still here.' He brushed his
   thumb over my skin, leaving a trail of icy heat. 'You're here, and the only dance I want is this one.' " 

 
The Iron Daughter Book Trailer



Paperback, 359 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen                                         
Find The Iron Daughter at:
*This is a book I purchased myself. *

12 comments:

  1. Well....If you're team ash now,You're going to die of happiness in Iron Queen.
    Even though this book didn't blow me away I couldn't put it down.
    (FYI: I liked Iron Queen the best!)

    Nice review


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read The Iron Queen! Everyone tells me it's fantastic. I have to read a couple of review books first. But I hope to get it read before a The Iron Knight.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so glad you were swayed to Team Ash.. I was slightly sad when I read your review of The Iron King and you were undecided. I thought, " ugh, not another puck lover " lol. but now you have won my respect back. tee hee.

    I do adore puck as well. he's funny as hell. but I just dont like him for Meghan, in that way..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *wish* we'd had books like this when I was a teenager. I would have LOVED this. Now I just wish I had the time to read this awesome stuff, hahahaha! Great review, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your review! I hope to finish mine today and have it posted ASAP. Loved this book and I'm eager to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. April,
    I'm so happy to have won your respect. I guess I was slow w/Ash b/c there are so many books w/a rude guy and the girl keeps fawning over him until she wears him down. That didn't happen here. And I was happy for it. Love, love Ash.
    I feel the same way about Puck. I knew so many guys like him. Never taken seriously by the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kendall,

    I wish we had these books, too. It's weird, in high school I read classics (Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, etc.) They were great books, but unrelatable in many ways.
    You should find some time to read. Let that overworked brain of yours relax!
    Thanks, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mindy,
    Thank you! It's sorta easy to write a review when you love the book, huh? Can't wait to read yours.
    I guess we're racing to the finish, huh?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm soo happy you're finally on Team Ash welcome to the club! I loved all your tweets P and I were giggling because we totes knew how you felt. I told you this one was a tearjerker so is the Iron Queen be warned ;) Another awesome review!

    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaime,
    You told me I would be sending some crazy tweets and you were right! I'll be glad when I'm caught up w/you two.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, awesome review! You should read "Winter's Passage," which takes place between books 1 and 2. It's a short story that really observes Ash's actions a lot better. Also, there's "Summer's Crossing," which is free, but you should read it AFTER you've read Book 3. I came away a huge fan of Puck after reading that.

    My fave was The Iron Queen, so far, but I've yet to read book 4. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cathy,

    Thanks so much! I have Summer Crossing, but still need Winter's Passage. I'll get it first chance I get. All of you telling
    Me about The Iron Queen has me super excited!
    Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are bloggy food. Feed me!

Recent Post